Project Selection Handbook For Department Of Education: Limpopo Province
AbstractOver the past decade, South Africa has experienced a rising pace of economic and social development which has facilitated the expansion of the basic social programs, especially in health and education. The education sector has been given a high priority by the National and Provincial authorities in order to eradicate illiteracy and to step up the scope and standard of education in public schools. As such, capital appraisal of the potential projects carried out by the department is now the focus of increasing attention. As a part of the continuous effort by the Limpopo Provincial Government to improve the quality of public infrastructure delivery by its departments, this handbook focuses on the process of capital project selection by the Department of Education (DOE). The objective of this handbook is to assist the decision-makers at the DOE in the selection of capital projects for construction and for rehabilitation, using a ranking system being developed as an extension of cost-effectiveness and cost-utility analysis. The handbook shows that the overall effectiveness of budget spending can be maximized when the funds are allocated for school construction and/or rehabilitation according to a priority index.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by JDI Executive Programs in its series Development Discussion Papers with number 2004-03.
Length: 86 pages
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
education; cost-effectiveness analysis; school construction and rehabilitation; priority index; budget allocation; South Africa;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- H43 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Project Evaluation; Social Discount Rate
- H52 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Education
- H75 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Government: Health, Education, and Welfare
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-10-25 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-PPM-2013-10-25 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Glenn P. Jenkins & Armin Zeinali, 2014. "Cost-Effective Infrastructure Choices In Education: Location, Build Or Repair," Development Discussion Papers 2013-08, JDI Executive Programs.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafik Majidov).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.