Choosing Between Time and State Dependence: Micro Evidence on Firms' Price-Reviewing Strategies
AbstractThanks to recent findings based on survey data, it is now well known that firms differ from each other with respect to their price-reviewing strategies. While some firms review their prices at fixed intervals of time, others prefer to perform price revisions in response to changes in economic conditions. In order to explain this fact, some theories have been suggested in the literature. However, empirical evidence on the relative importance of the factors determining firms' different strategies is virtually nonexistent. This paper contributes to filling this gap by investigating the factors that explain why firms follow time-, state- or time- and state-dependent price-reviewing rules. We find that firms' strategies vary with firm characteristics that have a bearing on the importance of information costs, the variability of the optimal price and the sensitivity of profits to non-optimal prices. Menu costs, however, do not seem to play a significant role.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department in its series Working Papers with number w201106.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Daniel A. Dias & Carlos Robalo Marques & Fernando Martins, 2013. "Choosing between Time and State Dependence: Micro Evidence on Firms' Price-Reviewing Strategies," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 115(3), pages 756-780, 07.
- Dias, Daniel & Robalo Marques, Carlos & Martins, Fernando, 2011. "Choosing between time and state dependence: micro evidence on firms' price-reviewing strategies," Working Paper Series 1305, European Central Bank.
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-04-02 (Central Banking)
- NEP-COM-2011-04-02 (Industrial Competition)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.