The Hidden Side of Temporary Employment: Fixed-term Contracts as a Screening Device
AbstractIn this article we look at how one specific form of temporary employment - employment with fixed-term contracts - fits into employers’ hiring policies. We find that human capital variables, measured at the levels of the worker and the workplace, are important determinants of the employers’ decisions to hire with temporary contracts and to promote temporary workers to permanent positions. Those employers that hire more with temporary contracts are also those that are more likely to offer a permanent position to their newlyhired temporary employees. Our results indicate that fixed-term contracts are a mechanism for screening workers for permanent positions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department in its series Working Papers with number w201029.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-12-18 (Business Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2010-12-18 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Daniel S. Hamermesh & José Varejão, 2008.
"The Timing of Labor Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
14566, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Varejão, José, 2008. "The Timing of Labor Demand," IZA Discussion Papers 3885, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Daniel S. Hamermesh & José Varejão, 2008. "The Timing of Labor Demand," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 759.08, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Daniel S. Hamermesh & José Varejao, 2008. "The Timing of Labor Demand," Working Papers 367, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Bruno, Giovanni S. F. & Caroleo, Floro Ernesto & Dessy, Orietta, 2012. "Stepping Stones versus Dead End Jobs: Exits from Temporary Contracts in Italy after the 2003 Reform," IZA Discussion Papers 6746, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.