Determinants of South Africa’s Exports of Leather Products
AbstractThis paper analysed the determinants of South African exports of raw hides and skins (other than fur skins) and leather (H41) using annual data covering the period 1997 to 2004 for 32 main trading partners. The results show that importer’s GDP, South Africa’s GDP, importer’s population, South Africa’s population, infrastructure of South Africa and importing country and some regional trade agreements are the main determinants of raw hides and skins (other than fur skins) and leather exports. The paper then investigated if there is unexploited trade potential. The investigation revealed that among others, South Korea, United Kingdom, USA, Zambia and Zimbabwe have unexploited export potential. It is important to focus efforts on the unexploited trade potential to accelerate growth and alleviate poverty in South Africa.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pretoria, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 200721.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
gravity model; fixed effects; export potential;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- F47 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2007-11-17 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2007-11-17 (International Trade)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rangan Gupta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.