Direct Mechanisms, Menus and Latent Contracts
AbstractIn common agency games, one cannot characterize all equilibria by considering only direct mechanisms. In an attempt to overcome this difficulty, Peters [Econometrica, 2001]and Martimort and Stole [Econometrica, 2002] identified a class of indirect mechanisms (namely, menus) which are able to characterize every equilibrium. Unfortunately, menus are difficult to handle, and several methodologies have been proposed in the literature. Here, it is shown that, even if authors consider menus rather than simpler mechanisms, many equilibria described in the literature could have been characterized by direct incentive compatible mechanisms. Use of more sophisticated mechanisms was not necessary in these cases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 7049.
Date of creation: 30 Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Common Agency; Revelation Principle; Delegation Principle; Direct Mechanisms; Menus; Latent Contracts;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alessandro Pavan & Giacomo Calzolari, 2010.
"Truthful Revelation Mechanisms for Simultaneous Common Agency Games,"
American Economic Journal: Microeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 132-90, May.
- Alessandro Pavan & Giacomo Calzolari, 2008. "Truthful Revelation Mechanisms for Simultaneous Common Agency Games," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 85, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Giacomo Calzolari & Alessandro Pavan, 2007. "Truthful Revelation Mechanisms for Simultaneous Common Agency Games," Discussion Papers 1458, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Andrea Attar & Thomas Mariotti & Francois Salanie, 2009.
"Non-Exclusive Competition in the Market for Lemons,"
LERNA Working Papers
09.13.289, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Andrea Attar & Thomas Mariotti & François Salanié, 2010. "Non-Exclusive Competition in the Market for Lemons," CEIS Research Paper 159, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 28 May 2010.
- Attar, Andrea & Mariotti, Thomas & Salanié, François, 2009. "Non-Exclusive Competition in the Market for Lemons," TSE Working Papers 09-055, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Attar, Andrea & Mariotti, Thomas & Salanié, François, 2009. "Non-Exclusive Competition in the Market for Lemons," IDEI Working Papers 558, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.