Cultural Tourism In A Greek Insular Community: The Residents’ Perspective
AbstractCultural tourism constitutes an alternative strategy of sustainable local development for improving quality of life. The main objective of this type of tourism is to transform the regions, which are characterized by cultural resources, into ideal places for vacation, residence or business. In this study the residents’ perceptions of cultural tourism were examined in a case study of a Greek island, Andros. It was found that the majority of the respondents were aware of the importance of cultural tourism and they argued that it could contribute to the island’s local development. The findings also suggested that there is a strong relationship between the respondents’ characteristics and their perceptions of the impacts of cultural tourism on the island’s development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6368.
Date of creation: Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in TOURISMOS: An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism 2.2(2007): pp. 61-75
alternative tourism; cultural tourism; cultural heritage; sustainable local development; Greece;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Z1 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2008-01-05 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2008-01-05 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bachleitner, Reinhard & Zins, Andreas H., 1999. "Cultural Tourism in Rural Communities: The Residents' Perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 199-209, March.
- Perdue, Richard R. & Long, Patrick T. & Kang, Yong Soon, 1999. "Boomtown Tourism and Resident Quality of Life: The Marketing of Gaming to Host Community Residents," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 165-177, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.