In search of a new identity in Polish mountains: the case of Babia Góra
AbstractSince 1989, Poland has been experiencing a revival of local and regional movements rediscovering their traditions. The movements benefited from a reform of the system of local and regional government. The paper introduces a case of one of new administrative unit established at the foot of a southern Polish peak Babia Góra. Regional actors have used the peak’s image in building a regional identity. The paper analyses how this mountain and its various representations are exploited in regional narratives. This importantly includes a use of this newly created identity to rally the regional community around common development objectives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 49438.
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
mountain(s); landscape; symbolic place; regional identity; regionalism;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- Z1 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shmuel Shamai & Zinaida Ilatov, 2005. "Measuring Sense Of Place: Methodological Aspects," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 96(5), pages 467-476, December.
- Anssi Paasi, 2002. "Bounded spaces in the mobile world: Deconstructing 'regional identity'," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 93(2), pages 137-148, 05.
- Garri Raagmaa, 2002. "Regional Identity in Regional Development and Planning1," European Planning Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 55-76, January.
- Kees Terlouw, 2001. "Regions in geography and the regional geography of semiperipheral development," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 92(1), pages 76-87, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.