Приватизация и рациональная структура собственности (Privatizatsiya i ratsional’naya struktura sobstvennosti)
[Privatization and the Rational Ownership Structure]
AbstractThe costs and benefits of privatization are considered, focusing on the current Russian conditions. The experience of many countries, as well as econometric and theoretical studies, a review of which is given in the paper, show that relative efficiency of privatized enterprises in comparison with the state depends on the stage of economic development and quality of institutions. State-owned enterprises may have a number of special functions which are particularly important for developing or resource abundant economies. In particular, they can play the role of agents of modernization to initiate large-scale projects as public-private partnerships. It is shown that the decision on privatization should be considered in the context of a more general problem of finding a rational ownership structure in an economy. Factors affecting the comparative efficiency of public and private enterprises are analyzed. A number of hypotheses are proposed about the shape of dependence of the rational ownership structure on the level of development, the quality of government, and the quality of markets. Recommendations on improvement of the public sector management are formulated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41069.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Sappington–Stiglitz theorem; transformation cost; NP- cycles; stationary ownership structure; ownership diversification; industrial policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E02 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Institutions and the Macroeconomy
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- P5 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- D02 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Institutions: Design, Formation, and Operations
- H82 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - Governmental Property
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2012-09-09 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-CWA-2012-09-09 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-MAC-2012-09-09 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-TRA-2012-09-09 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David E. M. Sappington & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1987.
"Privatization, information and incentives,"
Journal of Policy Analysis and Management,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 567-585.
- Bernardo Bortolotti & Valentina Milella, 2006. "Privatization in Western Europe Stylized Facts, Outcomes, and Open Issues," Working Papers 2006.124, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Irina Denisova & Markus Eller & Timothy Frye & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2010.
"Everyone Hates Privatization, but Why? Survey Evidence from 28 Post-Communist Countries,"
w0143, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Denisova, Irina & Eller, Markus & Frye, Timothy & Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina, 2012. "Everyone hates privatization, but why? Survey evidence from 28 post-communist countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 44-61.
- Saul Estrin & Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda & Jan Svejnar, 2009. "The Effects of Privatization and Ownership in Transition Economies," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(3), pages 699-728, September.
- Polterovich, Victor, 1995. "Towards the Theory of Privatization," MPRA Paper 20151, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alberto Cavaliere, 2006.
"Privatization and Efficiency: from Principals and Agents to Political Economy,"
2006.99, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Alberto Cavaliere & Simona Scabrosetti, 2008. "Privatization And Efficiency: From Principals And Agents To Political Economy," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 685-710, 09.
- Chang, Roberto & Hevia, Constantino & Loayza, Norman, 2009.
"Privatization and nationalization cycles,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5029, The World Bank.
- Kole, Stacey R & Mulherin, J Harold, 1997. "The Government as a Shareholder: A Case from the United States," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(1), pages 1-22, April.
- Paul Cook & Yuichiro Uchida, 2008. "The Performance of Privatised Enterprises in Developing Countries," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(9), pages 1342-1353.
- Bernardo Bortolotti & Paolo Pinotti, 2003. "The Political Economy of Privatization," Working Papers 2003.45, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Gasmi, Farid & Maingard, Alexis & Noumba Um, Paul & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2011.
"Empirical evidence on the impact of privatization of fixed-line operators on telecommunications performance - Comparing OECD, Latin American, and African countries,"
IDEI Working Papers
660, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Gasmi, Farid & Maingard, Alexis & Noumba Um, Paul & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2011. "Empirical evidence on the impact of privatization of fixed-line operators on telecommunications performance - Comparing OECD, Latin American, and African countries," TSE Working Papers 11-241, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1994. "Politicians and Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 995-1025, November.
- Patrick Plane, 1997. "Privatization and economic growth: an empirical investigation from a sample of developing market economies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(2), pages 161-178.
- Ha-Joon Chang, 2007. "State-Owned Enterprise Reform," Policy Notes 4, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.