Bases del proceso de internacionalización de las cadenas hoteleras de las Islas Baleares
[Bases of the globalisation of the hotel chains of the Balearic Islands]
AbstractIn recent decades, hotel companies based in the Balearic Islands have become the leaders of the Spanish tourism market and have been released, with great success, to conquer international markets. This article analyses the foundations of this global expansion: its position in the island tourist market, its family character and the relations which they have maintained with international tourism companies: foreign capital tour operators and hotel chains. This analysis includes the definition of the main evolutionary characteristics of the largest European tourist destination: the Balearic Islands and the comparison with other Spanish companies which have also been globalised over those same years. Findings indicate that this expansion has occurred in conditions of competition and without their players having the initial legal or administrative advantages which are so common in other sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37210.
Date of creation: 08 Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Hotels; globalisation; tourism; Balearic Islands;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nuria Puig & Paloma Fernandez Perez, 2009. "A silent revolution: The internationalisation of large Spanish family firms," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(3), pages 462-483.
- Cirer-Costa, Joan Carles, 2013. "The role of geography in the success of the balearic tourism industry," MPRA Paper 47701, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.