Controlling complex dynamics in a protected-area discrete-time model
AbstractThis paper investigates how the introduction of user fees and defensive expenditures change the complex dynamics of a discrete-time model, which represents the interaction between visitors and environmental quality in a Open-Access Protected-Area (OAPA). To investigate this issue more deeply, we begin by studying in great detail the OAPA model and then we introduce the user fee () and the defensive expenditures () specifically directed towards at the protection of the environmental resource. We observed that some values of can generate a chaotic regime from a stable dynamic of the OAPA model. Finally, to eliminate the chaotic regime, we design a controller by OGY method, assuming the user fee as a controller parameter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 36598.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
sustainable tourism; controlling chaos;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- Q01 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - Sustainable Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2012-02-20 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2012-02-20 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simone Borghesi & Angelo Antoci & Paolo Russu, 2004.
"Biodiversity and Economic Growth: Stabilization Versus Preservation of the Ecological Dynamics,"
2004.18, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Antoci, Angelo & Borghesi, Simone & Russu, Paolo, 2004. "Biodiversity and economic growth: stabilization versus preservation of the ecological dynamics," MPRA Paper 13666, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Russu, Paolo, 2009. "Hopf bifurcation in a environmental defensive expenditures model with time delay," MPRA Paper 34397, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.