The impact of socio-economic inputs on rtd, innovativeness, and competitiveness of european and east asian smes: comparative analysis and policy suggestions for regional convergence
AbstractThis paper presents state-of-the-art conceptual and empirical output of recent research work on the identification of the factors that determine the innovativeness and competitiveness of SMEs in Europe and East Asian countries. In the context of globalisation, new technology and learning-based production, and in the direction of the European regional convergence and social cohesion, our research obtained insights of the links between economic performance and socio-technological inputs. More specifically, on the basis of cross-national and cross-industry comparisons, the ways that regional/national innovation systems influence firm performance and growth are analysed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 33565.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
innovativeness and competitiveness; SMEs; learning-based production; innovation systems;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brouwer, E. & Kleinknecht, A., 1996. "Firm size, small business presence and sales of innovative products: A micro-econometric analysis," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5662085, Tilburg University.
- Brouwer, Erik & Kleinknecht, Alfred, 1996. " Firm Size, Small Business Presence and Sales of Innovative Products: A Micro-econometric Analysis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 189-201, June.
- George Symeonidis, 1996. "Innovation, Firm Size and Market Structure: Schumpeterian Hypotheses and Some New Themes," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 161, OECD Publishing.
- Cantwell, John & Santangelo, Grazia D., 1999. "The frontier of international technology networks: sourcing abroad the most highly tacit capabilities," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 101-123, March.
- Brouwer, Erik & Kleinknecht, Alfred, 1999.
"Keynes-Plus? Effective Demand and Changes in Firm-Level R&D: An Empirical Note,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 385-91, May.
- Brouwer, Erik & Kleinknecht, Alfred, 1997. "Keynes-plus? Effective demand and changes in firm-level R&D: an empirical note," Serie Research Memoranda 0038, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Paul Geroski & Steve Machin & John Van Reenen, 1993. "The Profitability of Innovating Firms," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(2), pages 198-211, Summer.
- Mario Bourgault & Élisabeth Lefebvre & Louis A. Lefebvre, 1994. "Critical Capabilities and Performance of the Small Subcontracting Firms in the Aerospace Industry," CIRANO Working Papers 94s-13, CIRANO.
- Ettlinger, Nancy & Tufford, Michelle, 1996. " Evaluating Small Firm Performance in Local Context: A Case Study of Manufacturers in Columbus, Ohio," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 139-57, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.