Ten years of cultural development in Sibiu: The European cultural capital and beyond
AbstractThis study presents the results of a ten year monitoring programme on cultural and tourism development in the city of Sibiu. Over the ten year research period the programme expanded to cover a wide range of data sources, including resident and visitor surveys, stakeholder interviews and secondary statistical data. The research started at a fairly low level with studies of single events in the cultural agenda of Sibiu. The programme was significantly expanded in 2007 thanks to the staging of the European Capital of Culture in the city. Support from the ECOC allowed the scale of the research to be increased. Since 2007 the Lucian Blaga University has continued to collect data using its own resources. This study is unique as it is probably the first long-term study of the cultural and tourism development of a city in a former Socialist country in Central and Eastern Europe. The data in the current report build on and extend the analysis provided in the earlier report “The Impact of the 2007 European Cultural Capital in Sibiu: A long term perspective”, published in 2010. This research includes a number of different elements: regular surveys of residents and visitors, analysis of tourism flows and other statistics, Interviews with stakeholders in the city, Data from the regular surveys carried out by ATLAS in other parts of Europe. This report provides a summary of some of the major findings of the research to date, mainly based on the resident and visitor surveys.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 31167.
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision: May 2011
cultural tourism; European Cultural Capital; Sibiu;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2011-06-04 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-HIS-2011-06-04 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-TRA-2011-06-04 (Transition Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2011-06-04 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richards Greg & Rotariu Ilie, 2010. "Sibiu European Cultural Capital Program: Measuring The Impact On The Accommodation System," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 85-90, July.
- Richards Greg & Rotariu Ilie, 2011. "Sibiu - The European Cultural Capital and Beyond," Ovidius University Annals, Economic Sciences Series, Ovidius University of Constantza, Faculty of Economic Sciences, vol. 0(1), pages 1807-1811, May.
- GREG Richards & ILIE Rotariu, 2010. "Tourism Impact of European Cultural Capital Programs – Sibiu 2007 Preliminary Findings of a Follow up Aproach," Ovidius University Annals, Economic Sciences Series, Ovidius University of Constantza, Faculty of Economic Sciences, vol. 0(1), pages 422-425, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.