The efficiency assessment of big cities social and economic development: a system dynamics approach
AbstractThis paper examines the actual problems of social and economic development of big cities. To assess the efficiency of this development, we have made a methodology, based on a system dynamics approach which meets the modern requirements. One of the main elements of the methodology is a system dynamics model of urban development. This model helps to determine the efficiency borders of this development, the cost of urban growth, tariffs on the urban infrastructure services. The results of such calculations by the example of St. Petersburg (Russia) are given in the paper. The elaborated methodology allows us to create mechanisms for managing urban development, directed to raise living standards of city dwellers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 30090.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Big City; Sustainable Urban Development; System Dynamics Model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- O21 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Planning Models; Planning Policy
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2011-04-23 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2011-04-23 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jurijs Grizans, 2009. "Urban Issues and Solutions in the Context of Sustainable Development - A review of the literature," Working Papers, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics 92/09 Key words: sustaina, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.