Virgin Finance: Sir Richard Brandson’s pursuit of a significant presence in retail financial services
AbstractThis teaching case study tells of the foundation and growth of the Virgin Group over the forty years to 2010. The creation of over 300 business interests in parts as far afield as the UK, South Africa, Australia and the USA resulted from a unique management style. Branson and the Virgin brand often associate with music (such as records and music stores) and travel (airlines, trains and booked holidays) but between August 2007 and February 2008 they were involved in a failed takeover of Northern Rock, a collapsed British bank. However, as this case study details, the Northern Rock affair was one of a long series of steps dating to the 1980s through which Branson and Virgin have been developing capabilities to enter the British retail banking sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 26209.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Branson; Virgin; retail financial services; leadership style; corporate strategy; diversification;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N24 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: 1913-
- A20 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - General
- N84 - Economic History - - Micro-Business History - - - Europe: 1913-
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2010-11-06 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MKT-2010-11-06 (Marketing)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.