Local public procurement: how to deal with a creative bidder? A case study from the Netherlands
AbstractThis paper presents an analysis of the procurement of transportation services for the disabled by the town of Ridderkerk. The method used consisted of a study of the town’s files and interviews with 11 persons involved. The tender specifications were peculiar in that they required bidders to submit a schedule with prices per ride for seven classes ranging from 100,000 to over 600,000, whereas the real number of rides amounted to 270,000. One of the bidders quoted high prices for the first classes and very low prices for the last classes. On the basis of all seven classes, he quoted the lowest costs and won the contract. However, on the basis of the real number of rides he was the second most expensive bidder.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24280.
Date of creation: 06 Sep 2008
Date of revision: 27 Oct 2009
Public procurement; local government; Netherlands; transportation services for disabled;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H76 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Other Expenditure Categories
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Obermann & T. Kostal, 2003. "Public Procurement at the Local Level in Austria: The Economic Consequences of Compulsory Competitive Tendering for Public Services," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 74(1), pages 139-162, 03.
- Gunnar ALEXANDERSSON & Staffan HULT�N, 2007. "High And Low Bids In Tenders: Strategic Pricing And Other Bidding Behaviour In Public Tenders Of Passenger Railway Services," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 161-194, 06.
- Gunnar Alexandersson & Staffan HultÃ©n, 2006. "Predatory bidding in competitive tenders: A Swedish case study," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 73-94, July.
- Sofia Lundberg, 2005. "Restrictions on Competition in Municipal Competitive Procurement in Sweden," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 329-342, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.