A Spot Stochastic Recovery Extension of the Gaussian Copula
AbstractThe market evolution since the end of 2007 has been characterized by an increase of systemic risk and a high number of defaults. Realized recovery rates have been very dispersed and different from standard assumptions, while 60%-100% super-senior tranches on standard indices have started to trade with significant spread levels. This has triggered a growing interest for stochastic recovery modelling. This paper presents an extension to the standard Gaussian copula framework that introduces a consistent modelling of stochastic recovery. We choose to model directly the spot recovery, which allows to preserve time consistency, and compare this approach to the standard ones, defined in terms of recovery to maturity. Taking a specific form of the spot recovery function, we show that the model is flexible and tractable, and easy to calibrate to both individual credit spread curves and index tranche markets. Through practical numerical examples, we analyze specific model properties, focusing on default risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 19736.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2009
Date of revision:
stochastic recovery; CDO; correlation smile; base correlation; copula; factor model; default risk;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Choroś-Tomczyk, Barbara & Härdle, Wolfgang Karl & Okhrin, Ostap, 2013. "Valuation of collateralized debt obligations with hierarchical Archimedean copulae," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 42-62.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.