Evaluation of riskiness of Indian Banks and probability of book value insolvency
AbstractRecently, a lot of questions were raised about the financial health of commercial banks in India. This paper analyzes the Indian banks' riskiness and the probability of book-value insolvency under the framework developed by Hannan and Hanweck (1988). A risk index, known as Z score, for Global Trust Bank that became insolvent in 2004 suggests that the framework developed by Hannan and Hanweck (1988) is also relevant in the Indian context. For a random sample of 15 Indian Banks (public & private sector), we determine the riskiness/probability of book value insolvency over the years and also carry out a relative comparison between public and private sector banks in India. Results obtained in the study show that the probability of book value insolvency of Indian Banks has reduced over years and the probability of book value insolvency is lower in case of public sector banks in comparison to private sector banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15251.
Date of creation: 15 May 2009
Date of revision:
Riskiness; insolvency; Z-statistic;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2009-05-23 (Banking)
- NEP-CWA-2009-05-23 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-RMG-2009-05-23 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Nellie Liang & Donald T. Savage, 1990. "The nonbank activities of bank holding companies," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue May, pages 280-292.
- Ralph C. Kimball, 1998. "Economic profit and performance measurement in banking," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jul, pages 35-53.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.