Early warning signals and their role in preventing banking crises. The Czech Republic case
AbstractIn recent decades many countries have experienced banking crisis, for example Mexico (1994-1995), East Asian countries (after 1997) and transition economies (in 1990´s). The Czech Republic can not be omitted. The aim of this article is to characterise the role of early warning signals in measuring the vulnerability of countries to systemic banking crisis and to analyse how successfully these indicators could have been able to predict the banking crisis in case of Czech Republic. The first part of this paper defines the term banking crisis and describes indicators of banking crisis. The content of the second part of the paper are the individual early warning signals. The next part contains the characteristics of banking crisis in the Czech Republic. The last chapter tries to analyse the level of success of early warning signals in predicting the banking crisis in the Czech Republic.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 11902.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
banking crisis; nonperforming loans; bank failures; GDP growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerard Caprio & Patrick Honohan, 2008.
Center for Development Economics
2008-09, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Gerard Caprio & Patrick Honohan, 2008. "Banking Crises," Department of Economics Working Papers 2008-07, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Gerard Caprio, Jr. and Patrick Honohan, 2008. "Banking Crises," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp242, IIIS.
- Stijn Claessens & Daniela Klingebiel & Luc Laeven, 2001. "Financial Restructuring in Banking and Corporate Sector Crises: What Policies to Pursue?," NBER Working Papers 8386, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.