Trade Orientation and Productivity Gains from International Production: A Study of Overseas Operations of US Multinationals
AbstractAbstract: The effect of the trade policy regime of the host country on its productivity gains from international production is an issue of obvious policy relevance and analytical interest but one on which there has been a dearth of empirical research. This paper aims to fill this gap through an analysis of a cross-section of data on overseas production of US manufacturing multinationals in 44 countries over the period 1983-1992. The findings provide strong support for the proposition that, other things being equal, productivity gains from international production tend to be greater under a more open trade policy regime compared to a restrictive regime. There is also evidence of a significant negative effect of a stringent domestic tax regime on efficiency gains from international production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 1998-02.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Satish Chand, 2002.
"International tax arbitrage via corporate income splitting,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 111-115.
- Satish Chand, 2002. "International tax abitrage via corporate income splitting," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec02-1, International and Development Economics.
- Zeshan Atique & Mohsin Hasnain Ahmad & Usman Azhar, 2004. "The Impact of FDI on Economic Growth under Foreign Trade Regimes: A Case Study of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 707-718.
- Kohpaiboon, Archanun, 2002. "Foreign Trade Regime and FDI-Growth Nexus : A Case Study of Thailand," Departmental Working Papers 2002-05, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- M. Olufemi Saibu, 2012.
"An analysis of causal nexus between foreign direct investment, exchange rate and financial market development in Nigeria (1970 to 2009),"
African Journal of Economic and Sustainable Development,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 95-102.
- SAIBU, Olufemi Muibi, 2012. "An analysis of causal nexus between foreign direct investment, exchange rate and financial market development in Nigeria (1970 to 2009)," MPRA Paper 42429, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mei Wen, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment, Regional Geographical and Market Conditions, and Regional Development: A Panel Study on China," Departmental Working Papers 2005-12, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.