Foreign trade regimes and the FDI-Growth Nexus: a case study of Thailand
AbstractThis article examines the role of trade policy regimes in conditioning the impact of foreign direct investment (FDI) on growth performance in investment receiving (host) countries through a case study of Thailand. The methodology involves estimating a growth equation, which provides for capturing the impact of FDI interactively with economic openness on economic growth, using data for the period 1970-99. The results support the 'Bhagwati' hypothesis that, other things being equal, the growth impact of FDI tends to be greater under an export promotion (EP) trade regime compared to an import-substitution (IS) regime.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 40 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tiwari, Aviral & Mutascu, Mihai, 2010. "Economic growth and and FDI in ASIA: A panel data approach," MPRA Paper 28172, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Das, Seshanwita & Das, Tapas, 2012. "A Time-series Analysis of Impact of FDI on Economic Development In India during Post-reforms Era (1991-2010)," MPRA Paper 53090, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jawaid, Syed Tehseen & Raza, Syed Ali, 2012. "Workers’ Remittances and Economic Growth in South Asia," MPRA Paper 39001, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jawaid, Syed Tehseen & Raza, Syed Ali, 2012.
"Workers’ remittances and economic growth in China and Korea: an empirical analysis,"
39003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Syed Tehseen Jawaid & Syed Ali Raza, 2012. "Workers' remittances and economic growth in China and Korea: an empirical analysis," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(3), pages 185-193, December.
- Wasim Qazi & Syed Raza & Syed Jawaid, 2014. "Higher education and growth performance of Pakistan: evidence from multivariate framework," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 1651-1665, May.
- Jawaid, Syed Tehseen & Raza, Syed Ali, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment, Growth and Convergence Hypothesis: A Cross Country Analysis," MPRA Paper 39000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jawaid, Syed Tehseen & Raza, Syed Ali, 2012. "Remittances, Growth and Convergence: Evidence from Developed and Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 39002, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Mohammad Mafizur Rahman, 2012.
"The Dynamic of Financial Development, Imports, Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Cointegration and Causality Analysis in Pakistan,"
Global Business Review,
International Management Institute, vol. 13(2), pages 201-219, June.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & mohammad, Mafizur Rahman, 2011. "The dynamic of financial development, imports, foreign direct investment and economic growth: cointegration and causality analysis in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 32181, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Jul 2011.
- Abdul Khaliq & Ilan Noy, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Sectoral Data in Indonesia," Working Papers 200726, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Jawaid, Syed Tehseen & Raza, Syed Ali, 2013. "Effects of terms of trade on growth performance of India," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 940-946.
- Kohpaiboon, Archanun, 2006. "Foreign direct investment and technology spillover: A cross-industry analysis of Thai manufacturing," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 541-556, March.
- Jawaid, Syed Tehseen & Raza, Syed Ali, 2012. "Effects of terms of trade and its volatility on economic growth in India," MPRA Paper 38998, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.