Foreign trade regimes and the FDI-Growth Nexus: a case study of Thailand
AbstractThis article examines the role of trade policy regimes in conditioning the impact of foreign direct investment (FDI) on growth performance in investment receiving (host) countries through a case study of Thailand. The methodology involves estimating a growth equation, which provides for capturing the impact of FDI interactively with economic openness on economic growth, using data for the period 1970-99. The results support the 'Bhagwati' hypothesis that, other things being equal, the growth impact of FDI tends to be greater under an export promotion (EP) trade regime compared to an import-substitution (IS) regime.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 40 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jawaid, Syed Tehseen & Raza, Syed Ali, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment, Growth and Convergence Hypothesis: A Cross Country Analysis," MPRA Paper 39000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jawaid, Syed Tehseen & Raza, Syed Ali, 2012. "Remittances, Growth and Convergence: Evidence from Developed and Developing Countries," MPRA Paper 39002, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdul Khaliq & Ilan Noy, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Sectoral Data in Indonesia," Working Papers 200726, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Kohpaiboon, Archanun, 2006. "Foreign direct investment and technology spillover: A cross-industry analysis of Thai manufacturing," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 541-556, March.
- Das, Seshanwita & Das, Tapas, 2012. "A Time-series Analysis of Impact of FDI on Economic Development In India during Post-reforms Era (1991-2010)," MPRA Paper 53090, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jawaid, Syed Tehseen & Raza, Syed Ali, 2012. "Workers’ Remittances and Economic Growth in South Asia," MPRA Paper 39001, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tiwari, Aviral & Mutascu, Mihai, 2010. "Economic growth and and FDI in ASIA: A panel data approach," MPRA Paper 28172, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & mohammad, Mafizur Rahman, 2011. "The dynamic of financial development, imports, foreign direct investment and economic growth: cointegration and causality analysis in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 32181, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Jul 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.