La "questione dimensionale" come problema organizzativo
AbstractThe paper argues that the shape of the long-run size distribution of business firms is basically determined by the availability of organisational capabilities, and that its changes over time (the "direction" of change) depend on the way in which (exogenous) "environmental" conditions affect firms' decisions as to what extent the division of labour has to take place within their boundaries rather than being allocated through market transactions. In such perspective it is argued that the growth of firms brings about important changes in their internal shape, by involving the development of more and more "control" functions. In particular, in this connection Italian firms seem to be characterised, in the current phase of industrial development, by a tendency towards growing complexity, sub specie of the internalisation of a larger set of activities (other than production) with respect to the past.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy) in its series Economics Department Working Papers with number 2007-EP04.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Firm Size Structure; Firm Growth and Organisation; Medium-Sized Firms; Division of Labour; Markets vs. Hierarchies; Organisational Change;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-07-20 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2007-07-20 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-SOC-2007-07-20 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- A. Arrighetti & A. Ninni, 2009. "Firm size and growth opportunities: a survey," Economics Department Working Papers 2009-EP05, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Isabella Martucci & Anna Maria Costanza Rinaldi, 2012. "The Way Italian Firms Grow: A Case Study from Southern Italy," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 15(43), pages 115-130, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrea Lasagni).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.