Global Value Chains and Internationalization of SMEs
AbstractThe paper is oriented at improving the understanding of internationalization strategies of firms by applying the global value chain studies at the firm level, in the context of SMEs. An original contribution of our paper is to apply such theoretical approach to the Italian model of economic organization mainly characterized by local manufacturing systems. Our hypothesis is that SMEs select the mechanism of governance for supplier selection and management in their international value chains consistently with their business models and the level of suppliers’ competences. The paper discusses how SMEs develop a mix of mechanisms of governance of their supply chains depending on the firm strategy and the specificities of the countries of destination of SMEs’ outsourcing strategies. By exploiting an original dataset of over 1,000 Italian firms, the paper shows that SMEs manage internationalization processes with different patterns across countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno" in its series "Marco Fanno" Working Papers with number 0118.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Global Value Chain; Internationalization; SMEs; Industrial Districts; Supply Chain Management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- M16 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - International Business Administration
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2010-07-03 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2010-07-03 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-SBM-2010-07-03 (Small Business Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Maria Manenti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.