A Discrete Choice Model of Consumption of Cultural Goods in Italy: the Case of Music
AbstractIn this paper we present an empirical analysis of the 'patterns of cultural choice' in the musical domain in Italy. By employing micro data from the Italian Survey on Households. Citizens and Leisure, we investigate the way in which musical tastes appear to be differentiated in the Italian society. The main goal of the paper is to verify whether musical tastes could be characterised by the traditionally accepted dichotomy between an elite of 'cultural snobs' and a mass of consumers of 'lowbrow' genres or whether they are diversified, with the presence of a new group of "cultural omnivores". By applying the discrete choice analysis, we implement a multivariate logit model in which each equation represents the choice of one of the mutually exclusive alternatives. Our dependent variable is constructed in a way to exactly identify the set of the alternatives and to include all possible individual choices. Our estimates point to the existence of different 'degrees of omnivorouness' and capture the differences between individuals listening to (or attending concerts of) only one musical genre, more than one genre or all genres.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno" in its series "Marco Fanno" Working Papers with number 0010.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- Z1 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2006-01-24 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-DCM-2006-01-24 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-MKT-2006-01-24 (Marketing)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francesco BALDUCCI, 2008. "Music or Hi-Tech Lovers? An Empirical Analysis of the Digital Music Market in Italy," Working Papers 324, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Maria Manenti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.