Do Bilateral and Regional Approaches for Reducing Technical Barriers to Trade Converge Towards the Multilateral Trading System?
AbstractAs part of its work on regionalism, the OECD Trade and Agriculture Directorate has completed a series of studies that compare rule-making provisions in regional trade agreements with those in the World Trade Organisation (e.g., in the area of services, investment and competition). This paper aims to complement existing studies, by examining legal provisions regarding "technical barriers to trade" (i.e., technical regulations, standards and conformity assessment procedures) in selected bilateral and regional trade agreements, and their degree of similarity and convergence with the WTO Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade, and with each other. The study reveals that most provisions regarding technical barriers to trade (TBT) included in bilateral and regional trade agreements converge towards the multilateral trading system. When implemented effectively, agreements seeking deeper economic integration and regulatory cooperation, in particular, can complement and strengthen the implementation the WTO Agreements on Technical Barriers to Trade by setting the pace for improved regulatory practices and TBT-related infrastructure in member countries (e.g., through regional consultation fora and joint standardisation and accreditation bodies). Some caveats however remain. When overlapping agreements promote different criteria for the harmonisation of standard-related measures and when bilateral or regional initiatives are conducted in isolation from international efforts and divert attention from multilateral trade and standards-related negotiations, new obstacles may arise both for regulators and businesses. Such constraints are further magnified for low income countries afflicted by administrative and technical capacity-related problems. To remedy these potential problems, the study proposes a number of policy recommendations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Trade Policy Papers with number 58.
Date of creation: 18 Oct 2007
Date of revision:
regulatory measures; testing; metrology; WTO Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade; equivalence; mutual recognition agreement; certification; non-tariff barriers; standards; technical barriers to trade; technical regulations; bilateral free trade agreements; multilateral trading system; regionalism; regional trade agreements; TBT; conformity assessment procedures; harmonisation; custom unions;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Henrik Horn & Petros C. Mavroidis & AndrÃ© Sapir, 2010.
"Beyond the WTO? An Anatomy of EU and US Preferential Trade Agreements,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(11), pages 1565-1588, November.
- Henrik Horn & Petros C. Mavroidis & AndrÃƒÂ© Sapir, . "Beyond the WTO? An anatomy of EU and US preferential trade agreements," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 238, December.
- AndrÃ© Sapir & Henrik H. Horn & Petros Mavroidis, 2009. "Beyond the WTO ?An Anatomy of EU and US Preferential Trade Agreements," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174283, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Horn, Henrik & Mavroidis, Petros C & Sapir, André, 2009. "Beyond the WTO? An Anatomy of EU and US Preferential Trade Agreements," CEPR Discussion Papers 7317, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier CADOT & Anne-CÃ©cilia DISDIER & Lionel FONTAGNÃ‰, 2012.
"North-South Standards Harmonization and International Trade,"
- Cadot, Olivier & Disdier, Anne-Célia & Fontagné, Lionel, 2012. "North-South Standards Harmonization and International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 8767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier CADOT & Anne-CÃ©cilia DISDIER & Lionel FONTAGNÃ‰, 2012. "North-South Standards Harmonization and International Trade," Working Papers P42, FERDI.
- Olivier Cadot & Anne-CÃ©lia Disdier & Lionel FontagnÃ©, 2012. "North-South Standards Harmonization and International Trade," PSE - G-MOND WORKING PAPERS hal-00961733, HAL.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Fontagne, Lionel & Cadot, Olivier, 2013. "North-South standards harmonization and international trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6710, The World Bank.
- Anne-CÃ©lia Disdier & Lionel FontagnÃ© & Olivier Cadot, 2014. "North-South Standards Harmonization and International Trade," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique", HAL hal-00975529, HAL.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00975529 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:psewpa:hal-00961733 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ann Capling, 2011. "A comparison of the ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand Free Trade Agreement and P4 Agreement," STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), in: Trade-led growth: A sound strategy for Asia, chapter 6 United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.