Economic Growth and the Role of Taxation-Theory
AbstractEconomic growth is the basis of increased prosperity. This makes the attainment of growth a key objective for governments across the world. The rate of growth can be affected by policy choices through the effect that taxation has upon economic decisions and through productive public expenditures. This paper provides a self-contained introduction to the economic modelling of growth and reviews the theoretical evidence on the extent of the link between taxation and growth. La croissance économique et le rôle de la fiscalité - Théorie La croissance économique est au fondement du progrès de la prospérité. Ceci fait de la croissance un objectif majeur pour les gouvernements du monde entier. Le taux de croissance peut être influencé par des choix de politique économique relatifs à la fiscalité, laquelle a un effet sur les décisions économiques des agents et est liée aux dépenses publiques productives. Cette étude fournit une introduction autonome à la modélisation économique de la croissance et résume les résultats empiriques traitant du lien entre la fiscalité et la croissance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Economics Department Working Papers with number 713.
Date of creation: 15 Jul 2009
Date of revision:
taxation; public policy; economic growth; politique publique; croissance; fiscalité; croissance économique;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H3 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-FDG-2009-07-28 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-HPE-2009-07-28 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-LTV-2009-07-28 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-PBE-2009-07-28 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2009-07-28 (Public Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luigi, Bernardi, 2011. "Economic crisis and taxation in Europe," MPRA Paper 31007, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dan Andrews & Chiara Criscuolo, 2013. "Knowledge-Based Capital, Innovation and Resource Allocation," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 1046, OECD Publishing.
- Doris Prammer, 2011. "Quality of taxation and the crisis: Tax shifts from a growth perspective," Taxation Papers 29, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Brendan O'Connor, 2013. "The Structure of Irelandâ€™s Tax System and Options for Growth Enhancing Reform," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 44(4), pages 511-540.
- Eleftherios Goulas & Athina Zervoyianni, 2013. "Growth, Deficits and Uncertainty: Theoretical Aspects and Empirical Evidence," Working Paper Series, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis 53_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Casarico, Alessandra & Sommacal, Alessandro, 2008.
"Labour Income Taxation, Human Capital and Growth: The Role of Child Care,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7039, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alessandra Casarico & Alessandro Sommacal, 2012. "Labor Income Taxation, Human Capital, and Growth: The Role of Childcare," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 114(4), pages 1182-1207, December.
- Alessandra Casarico & Alessandro Sommacal, 2008. "Labor Income Taxation, Human Capital and Growth: The Role of Child Care," CESifo Working Paper Series 2363, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bandyopadhyay, Debasis & Barro, Robert & Couchman, Jeremy & Gemmell, Norman & Liao, Gordon & McAlister, Fiona, 2012. "Average Marginal Income Tax Rates in New Zealand, 1907-2009," Working Paper Series 2423, Victoria University of Wellington, Chair in Public Finance.
- European Commission, 2010. "Tax Policy after the Crisis: Monitoring Tax Revenues and Tax Reforms in EU Member States 2010 Report," Taxation Papers 24, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Dackehag , Margareta & Hansson, Åsa, 2012. "Taxation of Income and Economic Growth: An Empirical Analysis of 25 Rich OECD Countries," Working Papers 2012:6, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Ioan Talpos & Ionel Vancu, 2009. "Corporate Income Taxation Effects On Investment Decisions In The European Union," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(11), pages 51.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.