Density Forecast Combination
AbstractIn this paper we investigate whether and how far density forecasts sensibly can be combined to produce a "better" pooled density forecast. In so doing we bring together two important but hitherto largely unrelated areas of the forecasting literature in economics, density forecasting and forecast combination. We provide simple Bayesian methods of pooling information across alternative density forecasts. We illustrate the proposed techniques in an application to two widely used published density forecasts for U.K. inflation. We examine whether in practice improved density forecasts for inflation, one year ahead, might have been obtained if one had combined the Bank of England and NIESR density forecasts or "fan charts".
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Institute of Economic and Social Research in its series NIESR Discussion Papers with number 249.
Date of creation: Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2 Dean Trench Street Smith Square London SW1P 3HE
Web page: http://niesr.ac.uk
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2005-10-29 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2005-10-29 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2005-10-29 (Forecasting)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- James Mitchell & Garratt, A., Vahey, S.P., 2009.
"Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
342, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Anthony Garratt & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2009. "Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0909, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Silvia Lui & James Mitchell & Martin Weale, 2009. "Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty," NIESR Discussion Papers 343, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Anthony Garratt & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2009. "Measuring output gap uncertainty," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2009/15, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Garratt, Anthony & Mitchell, James & Vahey, Shaun, 2010. "Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 7742, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Emil Stavrev, 2010.
"Measures of underlying inflation in the euro area: assessment and role for informing monetary policy,"
Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 217-239, February.
- Emil Stavrev, 2006. "Measures of Underlying Inflation in the Euro Area: Assessment and Role for Informing Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 06/197, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Communications Manager).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.