UEFA Euro 2004 Tourism Impact Analysis
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is exactly to approximate the tourism economic impact of the UEFA Euro 2004 in Portugal. The survey concentrates on the immediate, direct and short-term additional revenue brought into one region by the foreign sport event spectators. One innovating aspect of this paper is the direct data collection on the foreign visitors spending, contouring simulation and forecast problems. Results show an immediate short-term return investment costs generated an immediate and short-term revenue of less than one tenth of the investment costs and overall revenue leakage (or income export) of nearly 325% (50,142 million Euro) of the revenue within the defined regional spatial circuit.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by NIPE - Universidade do Minho in its series NIPE Working Papers with number 14/2004.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Núcleo de Investigação em Políticas Económicas, Escola de Economia e Gestão, Universidade do Minho, P-4710-057 Braga, Portugal
Phone: +351-253604510 ext 5532
Web page: http://www3.eeg.uminho.pt/economia/nipe/versao_inglesa/index_uk.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-03-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2005-03-20 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2005-03-20 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-SPO-2005-03-20 (Sports & Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria João Thompson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.