A Fundamental Objection to Tax Equity Norms: A Call for Utilitarianism
AbstractAnti-utilitarian norms often are used in assessing tax systems. Two motivations support this practice. First, many believe utilitarianism to be insufficiently egalitarian. Second, utilitarianism does not give independent weight to other equitable principles, notably concerns that reforms may violate horizontal equity or result in rank reversals in the income distribution. This investigation suggests that a policy maker who believes in the Pareto principle -- that any reform preferred by everyone should be adopted - - cannot consistently adhere to any of these anti-utilitarian sentiments. Moreover, the affirmative case for utilitarian tax policy assessment is stronger than is generally appreciated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 4961.
Date of creation: Feb 1996
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as National Tax Journal, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 497-514, (1995).
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ng, Yew-Kwang, 1971. "The Possibility of a Paretian Liberal: Impossibility Theorems and Cardinal Utility," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(6), pages 1397-1402, Nov.-Dec..
- Henrik Jordahl & Luca Micheletto, 2005.
"Optimal Utilitarian Taxation and Horizontal Equity,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 7(4), pages 681-708, October.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Luca Micheletto, 2002. "Optimal Utilitarian Taxation and Horizontal Equity," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 107, Royal Economic Society.
- Henrik Jordahl & Luca Micheletto, 2003. "Optimal Utilitarian Taxation and Horizontal Equity," CESifo Working Paper Series 977, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Micheletto, Luca, 2002. "Optimal Utilitarian Taxation and Horizontal Equity," Ratio Working Papers 17, The Ratio Institute.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Micheletto, Luca, 2002. "Optimal Utilitarian Taxation and Horizontal Equity," Working Paper Series 2002:19, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Jalbert, Vincent & Araar, Abdelkrim, 2000.
"Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrated Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
0002, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Vincent Jalbert & Abdelkrim Araar, 2001. "Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrated Approach," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 478.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Duclos, J.Y. & Jalbert, V. & Araar, A., 2000. "Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrated Approach," Papers 0002, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Louis Kaplow & David Weisbach, 2011. "Discount rates, social judgments, individuals’ risk preferences, and uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 125-143, April.
- Johansson-Stenman, Olof & Carlsson, Fredrik & Daruvala, Dinky, 2001. "Measuring Hypothetical Grandparents Preferences For Equality And Relative Standings," Working Papers in Economics 42, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Louis Kaplow, 1996. "How Tax Complexity and Enforcement Affect the Equity and Efficiency of The Income Tax," NBER Working Papers 5391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olof Johansson-Stenman & Fredrik Carlsson & Dinky Daruvala, 2002. "Measuring Future Grandparents" Preferences for Equality and Relative Standing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(479), pages 362-383, April.
- Johansson-Stenman, Olof, 2001. "Should We Use Distributional Weights in CBA When Income Taxes Can Deal with Equity?," Working Papers in Economics 35, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Jalbert, Vincent & Araar, Abdelkrim, 2003. "Classical Horizontal Inequity and Reranking: an Integrating Approach," Cahiers de recherche 0306, CIRPEE.
- Sören Blomquist & Luca Micheletto, 2008.
"Age-related Optimal Income Taxation,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(1), pages 45-71, 03.
- Louis Kaplow, 2003. "Transition Policy: A Conceptual Framework," NBER Working Papers 9596, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.