A State Price Index
AbstractNo cross-sectional consumer price index is currently available by state, and the BLS's cross-sectional "family budget" index for metropolitan areas is not well-suited for cross-state analyses. In this paper we propose an algorithm for constructing a state-specific Laspeyres price index using conveniently available information from the Census of Business and the Survey of Current Business. The index is calculated for each state (and for Census divisions and regions) for 1967 and 1972. Its characteristics are discussed, and it is used to deflate nominal per capita income by state. Comparing "real" income by state with nominal income by state, the former has substantially less variation cross-sectionally but greater variation over time (between 1967 and 1972).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 0320.
Date of creation: Feb 1979
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1976. "The Earnings of Allied Health Personnel - Are Health Workers Underpaid?," NBER Chapters, in: Explorations in Economic Research, Volume 3, number 3, pages 106-130 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hai-Yen Sung & Teh- Wei Hu & Theodore E. Keeler, 1994. "A Dynamic Simultaneous-Equations Model for Cigarette Consumption in the Western States," Public Economics 9403002, EconWPA, revised 04 Apr 1994.
- Eugene M. Lewit & Douglas Coate & Michael Grossman, 1981.
"The Effects of Government Regulation on Teenage Smoking,"
NBER Working Papers
0655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lewit, Eugene M & Coate, Douglas & Grossman, Michael, 1981. "The Effects of Government Regulation on Teenage Smoking," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 545-69, December.
- Robert T. Michael & Victor R. Fuchs & Sharon R. Scott, 1980. "Changes in Household Living Arrangements 1950-76," NBER Working Papers 0262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Michael & Victor Fuchs & Sharon Scott, 1980. "changes in the propensity to live alone: 1950–1976," Demography, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 39-56, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.