The R&D Master File Documentation
AbstractThis document describes the panel of publicly traded United States manufacturing firms which was created and updated at the National Bureau of Economic Research from 1978 through 1988 within the Productivity Program. The panel consists of about 2600 large manufacturing firms with three to twenty-seven years of data each; the period covered by the sampling frame was 1976 through 1985, with data back to 1959 where possible. There are approximately 70 variables for each firm-year of data, consisting of income statement and balance sheet variables and the corresponding common stock data. The technological data available for these firms consist of R&D expenditures and patents granted, both by date of application and by granting date. The patents data are available only through about 1981, due to the limitations of our sources and budget. The firms on the file are identified both by their CUSIP number and by name, making it feasible to match this data to other sources.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Technical Working Papers with number 0072.
Date of creation: Dec 1988
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William C. Brainard & John B. Shoven & Laurence Weiss, 1980. "The Financial Valuation of the Return to Capital," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(2), pages 453-512.
- Brainard, William C. & Shoven, John B., 1980. "The financial valuation of the return to capital," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue 4, pages 43-104.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Hayashi, Fumio, 1989.
"Research and Development as an Investment,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt8br8d266, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bronwyn H. Hall and Fumio Hayashi., 1989. "Research and Development as an Investment," Economics Working Papers 89-108, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bronwyn Hall & Fumio Hayashi, 1989. "Research and Development As An Investment," NBER Working Papers 2973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.