Issues in Controllability and the Theory of Economic Policy
AbstractThe paper demonstrates that the concepts of dynamic controllability are useful for the theory of economic policy by establishing four propositions. First dynamic controllability is a central concept in stabilization policy. Second, the ability to achieve a target state, even if it cannot be maintained. may be of economic interest. Third, dynamic controllability is of special interest for 'historical' models. Fourth, the conditions for any notion of dynamic controllability are distinct from and weaker than those for Tinbergen static controllability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Technical Working Papers with number 0002.
Date of creation: Jul 1981
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Buiter, Willem H. and Gersovitz, Mark. "Issues in Controllability and the Theory of Economic Policy." Journal of Public Economics, Vol. 15, No. 1, (February 1981), pp. 33-43.
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Buiter, Willem H. & Gersovitz, Mark, 1981. "Issues in controllability and the theory of economic policy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 33-43, February.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1984.
"Policy evaluation and design for continuous time linear rational expectations models: some recent development,"
NBER Technical Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc
0034, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1984. "Policy Evaluation and Design for Continuous Time Linear Rational Expectations Models: Some Recent Developments," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 15, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huiping Yuan & Stephen M. Miller, 2011. "The Optimality and Controllability of Discretionary Monetary Policy," Working papers, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics 2011-17, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Willem H. Buiter & Marcus H. Miller, 1983. "Costs and Benefits of an Anti-Inflationary Policy: Questions and Issues," NBER Working Papers 1252, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1987. "The Right Combination of Demand and Supply Policies: The Case for a Two-Handed Approach," NBER Working Papers 2333, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.