Econometric Analysis Of Income Convergence In Selected Eu Countries And Their Nuts 3 Level Regions
AbstractThe paper estimates equations for regional income convergence in selected EU countries and their NUTS 3 level regions during the European Union pre-enlargement period (1995–2002), using both spatial and non-spatial approaches. There has been absolute income convergence between regions in both the groups of countries looked at, the countries of the EU15, or the old member states, and the new member states or NMS. When national effects are included in convergence equations using country dummies, no evidence of regional income convergence can be observed. The results of the analysis assert the importance of regional policies in inhibiting the increase of regional income disparities and improving conditions for income growth, particularly within the new member states.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia) in its series University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series with number 60.
Length: 56 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2008-01-05 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-TRA-2008-01-05 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Krasnopjorovs, Olegs, 2013.
"Latvijas ekonomikas izaugsmi noteicošie faktori
[Factors of Economic Growth in Latvia]," MPRA Paper 47550, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2011.
"Regional Growth Dynamics in Central and Eastern Europe,"
Europe in Question Discussion Paper Series of the London School of Economics (LEQs)
3, London School of Economics / European Institute.
- Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2011. "Regional Growth Dynamics in Central and Eastern Europe," LEQS â LSE 'Europe in Question' Discussion Paper Series 33, European Institute, LSE.
- Monasterolo, Irene & Benni, Federica, 2013. "Non parametric methods to assess the role of the CAP in regional convergence in Hungary," Studies in Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, vol. 115(3), December.
- Laia Maynou Pujolras, 2013. "Health convergence analysis of the EU regions: 1995 and 2009," ERSA conference papers ersa13p88, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tonu Roolaht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.