Monetary developments and decolonization in Ethiopia
AbstractThe article analyses the reorganization process of the monetary setting in Ethiopia started in 1941 along with decolonization, when the Italian colonial rule came to an end. The country regained independence and the former Ethiopian empire was restored. The monetary reform in Ethiopia after liberation during World War II was a necessary measure to be adopted. Different paths however could have been followed at that moment by the Ethiopian government. The crucial choice made in money matter was to re-establish a national monetary unit instead of keeping the country inside the East African shilling area, as it was envisaged in British designs for the post-war setting of the Horn of Africa. The Ethiopian project unpredictably prevailed at the end of a weary negotiation, thanks chiefly to American support in the framework of a new role gained by the United States in this area. The Ethiopian Authorities were, as a consequence, enabled to free themselves from dependence on Great Britain and this event marked a crucial step in the advancement of the decolonisation proce
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2010-15.
Date of creation: 26 May 2010
Date of revision:
Ethiopia; History of Money in Africa; Monetary Reform;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- N27 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Africa; Oceania
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Histoire de l'Éthiopie in Wikipedia French ne '')
- Diskussion:Geschichte Äthiopiens in Wikipedia German ne '')
- Etiopia in Wikipedia Italian ne '')
- History of Ethiopia in Wikipedia English ne '')
- Storia d'Etiopia in Wikipedia Italian ne '')
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask DEMM Working Papers to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.