Innovation strategies for SMEs and clusters: the challenges of a globalised Europe
AbstractIn this paper we discuss the challenges for the European SMEs facing increased global competition, and how it is possible to design innovative strategies through the new Regional Competitiveness and Employment Objective. First, the paper offers an assessment of the importance of SMEs in the EU context and particularly in the regions concerned by the new objective. Second, the paper will discuss how globalisation poses a serious thread to this development pattern. Third, we briefly explain why further labour market and product liberalisation policies probably have a limited potential. Fourth, there is a wide empirical literature, and a lot of practical experience, on innovation strategies for SMEs and clusters in Europe. The paper will offer a critical assessment of these findings and will suggest how to make the best use of the limited, but critical, resources available under the new Regional Competitiveness Objective.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2006-16.
Date of creation: 30 Jun 2006
Date of revision:
EU Structural funds; SMEs; Clusters; Innovation strategies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
- L53 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Enterprise Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-07-15 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENT-2006-07-15 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2006-07-15 (Innovation)
- NEP-MKT-2006-07-15 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David B. Audretsch & Roy Thurik, 2001. "Linking Entrepreneurship to Growth," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2001/2, OECD Publishing.
- D.B. Audretsch & M.A. Carree & A.R. Thurik, 2001. "Does Entrepreneurship reduce Unemployment?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-074/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 24 Oct 2008.
- Roy Thurik, 2003. "Entrepreneurship and Unemployment in the UK," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(3), pages 264-290, 08.
- Bengt-ake Lundvall & Bjorn Johnson, 1994. "The Learning Economy," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 23-42.
- Audretsch, David B & Thurik, A R Roy, 2000.
"Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2648, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Audretsch, David B, et al, 2002. "Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 81-97.
- D.B. Audretsch & M.A. Carree & A.J. van Stel & A.R. Thurik, 2000. "Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-095/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Audretsch, David B. & Carree, Martin A. & van Stel, André J. & Thurik, A. Roy, 2000. "Impeded industrial restructuring : the growth penalty," HWWA Discussion Papers 114, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Tor Jakob KLETTE & Astrid MATHIASSEN, 1996.
"Job Creation, Job Destruction and Plant Turnover in Norvegian Manufacturing,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 41-42, pages 97-125.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Astrid Mathiassen, 1995. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and Plant Turnover in Norwegian Manufacturing," Discussion Papers 136, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Parto, Saeed & Doloreux, David, 2004. "Regional Innovation Systems: A Critical Synthesis," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 17, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Broersma, Lourens & Gautier, Pieter, 1997. " Job Creation and Job Destruction by Small Firms: An Empirical Investigation for the Dutch Manufacturing Sector," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-24, June.
- repec:att:wimass:8904 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch, 1990. "Innovation and Small Firms," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011131, December.
- David B. Audretsch & A. Roy Thurik, 1999. "Innovation, Industry Evoluation and Employment," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-068/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ericson, Richard & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.