People versus Incentives: The Causes and Consequences of Managerial Change in Ukraine and the Complementary
AbstractThis paper analyses the determinants of managerial change and the impact of privatisation,competition and managerial chenge on firm performance, using survey data from 300 Ukrainian firms. The main findings are: (i) Ownership and Competition are linked to managerial chenge: de novo firms but also privatised firms experienced less turnover than state firms, indicating an entrenchment effect. Firms with few competitors had less turnover as well. (ii) Managerial change and privatisation do not appear to play a role on their own but together postively affect profitability. (iii) Similarly, tough competition improves profitability and productivity in privatised firms only. These findings suggest that privatisation, competition and managerial change are complementary measures to improve the performance of the firm.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven in its series LICOS Discussion Papers with number 8800.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
managerial change; competition; privatisation; firm performance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-11-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2003-11-03 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-LAB-2003-11-03 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MFD-2003-11-03 (Microfinance)
- NEP-TRA-2003-11-03 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.