Die Abschaffung der Monopole in der deutschen Gebäudeversicherung : Lehren für die Schweiz
AbstractWe study, what Switzerland can learn from the disappearance of the property insurance monopolies in Germany. We show that the German insurance monopolies did not fight hard enough to defend their interests. a) Most of them knew that they would be bought up by another public insurance company. The monopoly was not for them a question of survival. b) The German monopolies did not have their own interest group. They were defended by the Association of Public Insurers. This association has much wider interests to defend than just the monopolies in the property insurance market. c) For the small customer the disappearance of the state monopolies was a painful event. Within five years their premium rates rose by about 50%, and the contributions paid by the insurance companies for fire prevention fell massively. It is well known, however, that consumers do not constitute a powerful pressure group.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP in its series Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) with number 00.05.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Thomas von Ungern-Sternberg, Gebäudeversicherung in Europa - Die Grenzen des Wettbewerbs, Haupt Verlag, 2002, pp. 143-173
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP, Internef, CH-1015 Lausanne
Phone: ++41 21 692.33.64
Fax: ++41 21 692.33.05
Web page: http://www.hec.unil.ch/deep/publications/cahiers/series
More information through EDIRC
property insurance; Germany; state monopoly; deregulation; premium rate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H42 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Private Goods
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- L89 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas von Ungern-Sternberg, 2001. "Die Vorteile des Staatsmonopols in der Gebäudeversicherung: Erfahrungen aus Deutschland und der Schweiz," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(1), pages 31-44, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudine Delapierre Saudan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.