International Parity Relationships Between Germany and the United States: A Joint Modelling Approach
AbstractThis paper examines the interrelations between purchasing power parity, uncovered interest parity, the term structure of interest rates and the Fisher real interest rate parity using cointegration analysis. Dynamic adjustment and feed-back effects are estimated jointly in a full system of equations. An important finding is that the very slow, though significant, price adjustment towards sustainable levels of real exchange rates, has been compensated by corresponding changes in the spread of long-term bond rates. Related to this is the strong empirical support for the weak exogeneity of long-term bond rates, signifying the importance of the large US trade deficits (i.e. the low levels of US savings) and, hence, their linkage to international finance. Altogether, the results suggest that the transmission mechanisms over the post Bretton Woods period have been significantly different from standard theoretical assumptions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Finance Research Unit in its series FRU Working Papers with number 2004/08.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/FRU/
More information through EDIRC
PPP; UIP; Fisher parity; Term structure;
Other versions of this item:
- Katarina Juselius & Ronald MacDonald, 2000. "International Parity Relationships between Germany and the United States: A Joint Modelling Approach," Discussion Papers 00-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C. & Hungnes, Håvard, 2005.
"The commodity currency puzzle,"
32/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2012.
"Purchasing Power Parity between the UK and the Euro Area,"
2012-46, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2012. "Purchasing Power Parity between the UK and the Euro Area," Working Papers 1208, University of Nevada, Las Vegas , Department of Economics.
- Rebecca L Driver & Peter F Westaway, 2005. "Concepts of equilibrium exchange rates," Bank of England working papers 248, Bank of England.
- Hilde Christiane Bjørnland & Håvard Hungnes, 2002.
"Fundamental determinants of the long run real exchange rate: The case of Norway,"
326, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C. & Hungnes, Håvard, 2003. "Fundamental determinants of the long run real exchange rate: The case of Norway," Memorandum 23/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Macchiarelli, Corrado, 2011. "Bond market co-movements, expected inflation and the equilibrium real exchange rate," Working Paper Series 1405, European Central Bank.
- Mustafa Ismihan & Kivilcim Metin-Ozcan & Aysit Tansel, 2002.
"Macroeconomic Instability, Capital Accumulation and Growth: The Case of Turkey 1963-1999,"
0209, Economic Research Forum, revised Mar 2002.
- Mustafa Ismihan & Aysit Tansel & Kivilcim Metin-Ozcan, 2002. "Macroeconomic Instability, Capital Accumulation and Growth : The Case of Turkey 1963-1999," Departmental Working Papers 0205, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Mustafa Ismihan & Kivilcim Metin-Özcan & Aysit Tansel, 2002. "Macroeconomic instability, capital accumulation and growth: The case of Turkey 1963-1999," ERC Working Papers 0204, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Apr 2002.
- Maria Herrerias, 2010. "The causal relationship between equipment investment and infrastructures on economic growth in China," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 509-526, December.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland & Håvard Hungnes, 2003.
"The importance of interest rates for forecasting the exchange rate,"
340, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Håvard Hungnes & Hilde C. Bj�rnland, 2006. "The importance of interest rates for forecasting the exchange rate," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 209-221.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Marsh, Ian W, 1999.
"Currency Spillovers and Tri-Polarity: A Simultaneous Model of the US Dollar, German Mark and Japanese Yen,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2210, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Marsh, Ian W., 2004. "Currency spillovers and tri-polarity: a simultaneous model of the US dollar, German mark and Japanese yen," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 99-111, February.
- Ian Marsh & Ronald MacDonald, 1999. "Currency Spillovers and Tri-Polarity: a Simultaneous Model of the US Dollar, German Mark and Japanese Yen," Working Papers wp99-14, Warwick Business School, Financial Econometrics Research Centre.
- Bruggeman, Annick & Donnay, Marie, 2003. "A monthly monetary model with banking intermediation for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0264, European Central Bank.
- Luca Fanelli & Emanuele Bacchiocchi, 2005. "Testing the purchasing power parity through I(2) cointegration techniques," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 749-770.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Fischer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.