Ownership Structure as a Signal of Managerial Ability
AbstractThis paper develops a signalling model of an entrepreneur's decision to go public when he continues as a manager. The intrepreneur takes his firm public in order to cash in on his initial investment. Assuming that the entrepreneur can design the ownerhsip structure when going public, we show that the ownership structure can be used to signal the entrepreneur's ability to outside investors. The presence of asymmetric information is shown to have the following consequences: ownership structure will be more concentrated, ex-post the manager will show less initiative in his search for new projects, and the equity value of the company will be higher.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 99-17.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Jul 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
ownership structure; signalling; corporate finance; incomplete contracts;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Krzysztof Wasniewski, 2011.
"Corporate Strategies – The Institutional Approach,"
Journal of Advanced Research in Management,
Association for Sustainable Education, Research and Science, vol. 0(1), pages 46-65, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Fischer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.