Estimation of Discrete Time Duration Models with Grouped Data
AbstractDynamic discrete choice panel data models have received a great deal of attention. In those models, the dynamics is usually handled by including the lagged outcome as an explanatory variable. In this paper we consider an alternative model in which the dynamics is handled by using the duration in the current state as a covariate. We propose estimators that allow for group specific effect in parametric and semiparametric versions of the model. The proposed method is illustrated by an empirical analysis of child mortality allowing for family specific effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics in its series CAM Working Papers with number 2004-07.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (45) 35 32 30 74
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/CAM/
More information through EDIRC
Panel Data; Discrete Choice; Duration Models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-09-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2004-09-05 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ECM-2004-09-05 (Econometrics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jonathan L. Willis, 2006.
"Magazine prices revisited,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 337-344.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.