The Postwar West German Economic Transition: From Ordoliberalism to Keynesianism
AbstractThe Federal Republic of Germany has experienced a fundamental shift in economic philosophy from Ordoliberalism to Keynesianism. This paper elucidates the main tenets of both schools of thought and their eventual influences on economic policy from 1945 through the late 1960s. West Germany’s transition to Keynesianism follows a relatively cohesive narrative, as the complexities of event history resonate to similar effect in academic and political spheres. By the end of this investigation, intellectual quagmires surrounding economic successes of the postwar period appear as the logical consequences of an academic community that underestimates the importance of normative economic philosophy for policy implementation and society writ large. Reconnecting historical narrative with economic philosophy thus serves in a dual capacity, clarifying a particularly controversial period in economic historiography while also illuminating the underlying problems of our present circumstance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Economic Policy, Cologne, Germany in its series IWP Discussion Paper Series with number 01/2007.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Economic History; Ordoliberalism; Keynesianism; German Economic Reform;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B00 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - General - - - History of Economic Thought, Methodology, and Heterodox Approaches
- B30 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - General
- B40 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2007-01-23 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2007-01-23 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2007-01-23 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Estado del bienestar in Wikipedia (Spanish)
- Historia del estado del bienestar in Wikipedia (Spanish)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Müller).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.