Input-Outrageous: The Economic Impacts of Modern Biofuels Production
AbstractMeasuring the net economic impacts of ethanol plants has been problematical: access to good industrial accounts is limited, the sector has historically gone through volatile swings, regional logistical responses to a plant beyond corn inputs are not well understood, and the sector is currently expanding rapidly. In the current uncertain energy world, the prices paid for inputs and received for outputs are also volatile. There exists quite a bit of confusion about the overall value of this dimension of value added agricultural processing to local, regional, and national accounts. There is a tendency for advocates to overstate, over-describe, and outright double-count economic activity linked to ethanol and other biofuels production. This paper presents the findings of a modeled ethanol plant configuration in a hypothetical three-county region in Iowa. (Modified slightly since first posted in June, 2006, to include language and technical corrections)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 12644.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2006-06-24 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-06-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2006-06-24 (Energy Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Danny G. Le Roy & Kurt K. Klein, 2012. "The Policy Objectives of a Biofuel Industry in Canada: An Assessment," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(4), pages 436-451, December.
- Low, Sarah A. & Isserman, Andrew M., 2008. "Ethanol: Implications for Rural Communities," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6157, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.