Assessing Assessments of School Performance: The Case of California
AbstractThe 1999 Public Schools Accountability Act set forth the Academic Performance Index (API) to assess the performance of California's public schools. Under the Governor's Performance Awards program, California schools showing adequate improvement in API scores become eligible for state funding. This paper investigates the rule used by California which defines awards eligibility and determines if this rule is consistent with the act of rewarding schools that are performing better than expected. In addition, we introduce and estimate a multilevel hierarchical model to determine those school districts and counties that demonstrated the best performance over the 2000-2001 period.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 12010.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Statistician 2004, vol. 58
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Tobias J.L., 2004. "Assessing Assessments of School Performance: The Case of California," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 58, pages 55-63, February.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eric A. Hanushek & John F. Kain & Steven G. Rivkin & Gregory F. Branch, 2005.
"Charter School Quality and Parental Decision Making with School Choice,"
04-024, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Hanushek, Eric A. & Kain, John F. & Rivkin, Steven G. & Branch, Gregory F., 2007. "Charter school quality and parental decision making with school choice," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(5-6), pages 823-848, June.
- Eric A. Hanushek & John F. Kain & Steven G. Rivkin & Gregory F. Branch, 2005. "Charter School Quality and Parental Decision Making With School Choice," NBER Working Papers 11252, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric A. Hanushek & John F. Kain & Steven G. Rivkin & Daniel M. O'Brien, 2005.
"The Market for Teacher Quality,"
04-025, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.