Unemployment and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in Latin American Economies
AbstractEdwards and Savastano (2000) survey on the equilibrium real exchange rate (RER) literature identify two important limitations: the lack of explicit derivation of flow and stock equilibrium variables as determinants of the equilibrium RER and the failure to allow for unemployment. This paper develops a general equilibrium model that includes both elements, as well as other traditional determinants of the RER such as productivity, terms of trade and government policies. The model is tested against the experience of ten Latin American economies in the 1970-2004 period. From an econometric point of view the model is consistent with the evidence, providing an estimate of the RER misalignment. When evaluating the contribution of labor market distortions to changes in the equilibrium RER, they appear to be less significant than changes in productivity or government policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. in its series Documentos de Trabajo with number 337.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Real exchange rate; unemployment; general equilibrium; misalignmen;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F37 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Finance Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- J01 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-04-29 (Central Banking)
- NEP-OPM-2008-04-29 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Garcia-Jimenez, Carlos I. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2010. "The Effects of Public Debt on Labor Demand in the United States," 2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida 56361, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amparo García).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.