Joint and Marginal Diagnostic Tests for Conditional Mean and Variance Specifications
AbstractThis article proposes a general class of joint and marginal diagnostic tests for parametric conditional mean and variance models of possibly nonlinear non-Markovian time series sequences. The use of joint and marginal tests is motivated from the fact that marginal tests for the conditional variance may lead misleading conclusions when the conditional mean is misspecified. The new tests are based on a generalized spectral approach and, contrary to existing procedures, they do not need to choose a lag order depending on the sample size or to smooth the data. Moreover, the proposed tests are robust to higher order dependence of unknown form, in particular to conditional skewness and kurtosis. It turns out that the asymptotic null distributions of the new tests depend on the data generating process, so a new bootstrap procedure is proposed and theoretically justified. A simulation study compares the finite sample performance of the proposed and competing tests and shows that our tests can play a valuable role in time series modeling. Finally, an application to the S&P 500 highlights the merits of our approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington in its series Caepr Working Papers with number 2007-009.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-06-18 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-06-18 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlos Escanciano, J., 2008. "Joint and marginal specification tests for conditional mean and variance models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 74-87, March.
- Wasel Shadat, 2011. "On the Nonparametric Tests of Univariate GARCH Regression Models," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1115, Economics, The University of Manchester.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.