A Corporate governance index for large listed companies in India
AbstractWe construct a Corporate Governance Index for 500 large listed Indian firms for the period from 2003 to 2008 in this paper. The index construction uses information on four important corporate governance mechanisms: the board of directors, the ownership structure, the audit committee, and the external auditor. The construction of the index for six years allows an examination of the evolution of corporate governance in India in a period when there have been a large number of corporate governance reforms. The analysis documents a rising trend in the level of the Corporate Governance Index of Indian companies. There is a strong association between the Corporate Governance Index and the market performance of companies, where companies with better corporate governance structures earn substantially higher rates of return in the market. This analysis shows that Indian markets tend to reward companies that carry out governance reforms. It provides an impetus to regulators as well as to push for further reforms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India in its series Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers with number 2012-009.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Gen. A. K. Vaidya Marg, Goregaon (E), Mumbai 400065
Phone: (022) 840 0919/20/21
Fax: (022) 840 2752/2026
Web page: http://www.igidr.ac.in
More information through EDIRC
Corporate Governance Index; board of directors; ownership structure; audit committee; external auditors;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
- M42 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Auditing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2012-05-15 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-05-15 (Economics of Strategic Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.