"Arrears" in the Russian Enterprise Sector
AbstractThis paper offers an analysis of payment arrears in the Russian enterprise sector, using both official aggregate data and data from a World Bank survey of 439 large and medium industrial Russian enterprises conducted in mid-1994. The focus is on trade credit arrears, tax arrears, and wage arrears (a companion paper discusses bad bank debts in detail). Among the findings of the paper are: contrary to the standard view of an ongoing "inter-enterprise arrears crisis" in Russia, levels of trade credit arrears in Russia are compable to those found both in other transition countries and in Western market economies; trade credit arrears and inflation are closely inversely correlated, the likely reason being that when macro policy is being tightened, firms try to create liquidity by extending payment periods; basic credit control mechanisms are in wide use by firms; and financially-distressed firms raise the priority of paying suppliers and lower the priority of paying taxes, with the result that tax arrears are significantly concentrated in financially-distressed firms. The paper concludes with a discussion of policy options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University in its series CERT Discussion Papers with number 9608.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abel, István & Siklos, Pierre L, 1993. "Constraints on Enterprise Liquidity and their Impact on the Monetary Sector in Formerly Centrally Planned Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 841, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven Phillips & Vincent Koen, 1993.
"Price Liberalization in Russia,"
IMF Occasional Papers
104, International Monetary Fund.
- M Belka & S Estrin & M Schaffer & I.J. Singh, 1995. "Enterprise Adjustment in Poland: Evidence from a Survey of 200 Private," CEP Discussion Papers dp0233, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Jacek Rostowski, 1994. "Interenterprise Arrears in Post-Communist Economies," IMF Working Papers 94/43, International Monetary Fund.
- David Bigman & SÃ©rgio Pereira. Leite, 1993. "Enterprise Arrears in Russia," IMF Working Papers 93/61, International Monetary Fund.
- Begg, David & Portes, Richard, 1993. "Enterprise debt and financial restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 396-407, April.
- Timothy Condon & S. Ramachandran, 1995. "Cash Constraints and Credit Corsets : The Chimera of Interenterprise Credit," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11676, The World Bank.
- Ickes, B.W. & Ryterman, R., 1992. "Inter-Enterprise Arrears and Financial Underdevelopment in Russia," Papers 9-92-6, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Mark Schaffer) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Professor Mark Schaffer to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.