Modeling Dependencies in Finance using Copulae
AbstractIn this paper we provide a review of copula theory with applications to finance. We illustrate the idea on the bivariate framework and discuss the simple, elliptical and Archimedean classes of copulae. Since the cop- ulae model the dependency structure between random variables, next we explain the link between the copulae and common dependency measures, such as Kendall's tau and Spearman's rho. In the next section the copulae are generalized to the multivariate case. In this general setup we discuss and provide an intensive literature review of estimation and simulation techniques. Separate section is devoted to the goodness-of-fit tests. The importance of copulae in finance we illustrate on the example of asset allocation problems, Value-at-Risk and time series models. The paper is complemented with an extensive simulation study and an application to financial data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2008-043.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Distribution functions; Dimension Reduction; Risk management; Statistical models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C00 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-06-27 (Econometrics)
- NEP-RMG-2008-06-27 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guenther Filler & Martin Odening & Ostap Okhrin & Wei Xu, 2009.
"On the Systemic Nature of Weather Risk,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2009-002, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Xu, Wei & Filler, Gunther & Odening, Martin & Okhrin, Ostap, 2009. "On the Systemic Nature of Weather Risk," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49131, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Xu, Wei & Filler, Gunther & Odening, Martin & Okhrin, Ostap, 2009. "On the Systemic Nature of Weather Risk," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51426, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fengler, Matthias & Okhrin, Ostap, 2012.
Economics Working Paper Series
1214, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Raushan Bokusheva, 2011. "Measuring dependence in joint distributions of yield and weather variables," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(1), pages 120-141, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.