Minimally Disproportional Representation: Generalized Entropy and Stolarsky Mean-Divisor Methods of Apportionment
AbstractWe study divisor methods, the primary class to solve apportionment problems, based upon Stolarsky means S_;_. These encompass the .ve traditional methods. We disclose a one-to-one relation between methods of the form S_;1 and aggregate measures of seat/vote disproportion- ality of the generalized entropy family: using a divisor method based upon such a generalized logarithmic mean coincides with minimizing a generalized entropy inequality measure. The Balinski-Young .favoring small states.- ordering ranks the generalized entropy methods. This framework improves upon an inconsistency in the traditional inequality approach to apportionment problems, which we illustrate by showing that the major rationale of the .method of equal proportions.is consistently preserved by a non-traditional method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management in its series Working Papers with number 2008/24.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2008
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Luc Lauwers & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2008. "Minimally disproportional representation: generalized entropy and Stolarsky Mean-Divisor Methods of Apportionment," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0819, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wada, Junichiro, 2012. "A divisor apportionment method based on the Kolm–Atkinson social welfare function and generalized entropy," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 243-247.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Janssens).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.