Determinants of the Performance of Banks in Hong Kong
AbstractThis paper develops a model to identify the major determinants of a bank's profit, and the general level of profitability of a banking market. It found that in Hong Kong's case, market structure, such as market concentration and market shares of banks, is not a major contributory factor. Cost efficiency of banks, which measures the ability of banks to optimise their input mix for producing outputs, is a major determinant of banks' profitability. Since larger banks are found to be in general more cost efficient than smaller banks in our previous study on banks' efficiency, larger banks can offer services at lower prices to compete with smaller banks, yet attaining a similar or even higher level of profits. Smaller banks may, therefore, be more vulnerable to intense competitions in the loan market than larger banks, particularly in cut-throat price wars.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hong Kong Monetary Authority in its series Working Papers with number 0706.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 55th Floor, Two International Finance Centre, 8 Finance Street, Central
Web page: http://www.info.gov.hk/hkma/
More information through EDIRC
Profitability; price; Hong Kong banking; bank efficiency; market structure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-09-09 (Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2007-09-09 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-COM-2007-09-09 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EFF-2007-09-09 (Efficiency & Productivity)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Chan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.