Nonparametric Estimation of Conditional Medians for Linear and Related Processes
AbstractWe consider nonparametric estimation of conditional medians for time series data. The time series data are generated from two mutually independent linear processes. The linear processes may show long-range dependence.The estimator of the conditional medians is based on minimizing the locally weighted sum of absolute deviations for local linear regression. We present the asymptotic distribution of the estimator. The rate of convergence is independent of regressors in our setting. The result of a simulation study is also given.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University in its series Discussion Papers with number 2005-04.
Length: 31,  p.
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Local linear estimator; least absolute deviation regression; conditional quantiles; linear processes; short-range dependence; long-range dependence; random design; martingale CLT; simulation study;
Other versions of this item:
- Toshio Honda, 2010. "Nonparametric estimation of conditional medians for linear and related processes," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 62(6), pages 995-1021, December.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koul, Hira L. & Surgailis, Donatas, 2001. "Asymptotics of empirical processes of long memory moving averages with infinite variance," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 309-336, February.
- Toshio Honda, 2009.
"Nonparametric density estimation for linear processes with infinite variance,"
Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics,
Springer, vol. 61(2), pages 413-439, June.
- Honda, Toshio, 2006. "Nonparametric Density Estimation for Linear Processes with Infinite Variance," Discussion Papers 2005-13, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Pollard, David, 1991. "Asymptotics for Least Absolute Deviation Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 186-199, June.
- Koul, Hira L. & Baillie, Richard T. & Surgailis, Donatas, 2004. "Regression Model Fitting With A Long Memory Covariate Process," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 485-512, June.
- Liang Peng & Qiwei Yao, 2004. "Nonparametric regression under dependent errors with infinite variance," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 56(1), pages 73-86, March.
- Giraitis, Liudas & Koul, Hira L. & Surgailis, Donatas, 1996. "Asymptotic normality of regression estimators with long memory errors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 317-335, September.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Peter Hall & Liang Peng & Qiwei Yao, 2002. "Prediction and nonparametric estimation for time series with heavy tails," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6086, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Honda, Toshio, 2013.
"Nonparametric LAD cointegrating regression,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 150-162.
- Toshio Honda, 2010.
"Nonparametric Quantile Regression with Heavy-Tailed and Strongly Dependent Errors,"
Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
gd10-157, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Toshio Honda, 2013. "Nonparametric quantile regression with heavy-tailed and strongly dependent errors," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 65(1), pages 23-47, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.